Friday, September 13, 2013

Quenching the 'Couve

Helen Keller once said, "I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do." As the economy continues to struggle, it is easy and convenient to make excuses not to help others. But I've recently found that it's even easier to grab a group of friends and do something!

This fall we've had some unseasonably warm days in Vancouver, Washington. On one such toasty day my niece Desiree made a comment about how much it would stink to be homeless in the heat. Out of her observation spawned an idea to pass out popsicles and water bottles to the homeless in order to make the heat a little more bearable for them.

My niece is a genius.

We hit up Costco and spent under $20 on a box of 100 Otter Pops and 24 bottles of water. Next, we recruited some friends from the Living Hope Church KidsWorld. Then, we drove around for about an hour, quenching thirsts and cooling off those in need.

$20 + 1 hour = an opportunity to love on people.

We took a video of the experience to show people how easy and inexpensive it can be to help others. I've compiled a clip of the highlights here:


Now I want to hear from you! Please share your ideas for giving back to the community in the comments below. Together, maybe we can make this world a little better.

Thank you! 

No comments:

Post a Comment